Southern Union State Community College
is accepting online applications for the
Part-Time ELL Instructor
Veterans' Resource Clerk
SUSCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Southern Union State Community College was formed on August 12, 1993, when the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees effectively merged Southern Union State Junior College and Opelika State Technical College. Each partner brought to the merger a history rich in tradition of service to students.
The older of the two colleges, Southern Union, was chartered as Bethlehem College on June 2, 1922, by the Southern Christian Convention of Congregational Christian Churches. From its opening with 51 students in a single building on September 13, 1923, until 1964, the college remained church related, operating as Piedmont Junior College, Southern Union College and The Southern Union College. On October 1, 1964, the college was deeded to the state of Alabama and became part of the newly-created system of two-year colleges. The name of the college became Southern Union State Junior College, and it achieved accreditation in 1970 from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Opelika State Technical College was created by an act of the Alabama State Legislature on May 3, 1963, in response to a recognized need to establish vocational/technical colleges in industrial areas of Alabama. The college opened on January 10, 1966, as Opelika State Vocational Technical Institute but was designated Opelika State Technical College on August 22, 1973, and was accredited in 1971 by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.