Mechanic IILee County Commission
Department: Shop, Lee County
Pay Grade: 14
Annual Salary Range: $38,016.26 - $40,385.49
Scope: This position is responsible for the repair and maintenance of vehicles and equipment
Closing Date: September 4, 2019
Required Hours Of Availability: Monday-Thursday; 6:00 am – 4:30 pm
Example Of Duties Performed:
• Repairs and rebuilds gasoline and diesel engines; repairs and rebuilds transmissions, differentials, starters, and alternators; repairs and maintains hydraulic and air brake systems; repairs gas, oil, brake fluid, and transmission fluid leaks; installs and adjusts clutches; performs general maintenance; greases vehicles and equipment; welds and operates cutting torch; performs suspension work; repairs, replaces, and rotates tires; cleans shop areas.
• Operates equipment and vehicles to diagnose problems and to ensure they are operating properly; operates a vehicle to pick up and deliver vehicles and equipment.
• Performs preventative maintenance checks; trains personnel in maintenance procedures.
• Designs and implements equipment changes.
• Responds to service calls for broken or stalled equipment.
• Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
Summary Of Qualifications:
• Possession of a valid Commercial, Class A or B, driver's license issued by the State of Alabama
• Availability for on-call status at designated times.
• Knowledge of vehicle and heavy equipment mechanical repair and maintenance procedures
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and operations of internal combustion engines, both gasoline and diesel.
• Knowledge of traffic hazards, safety principles, rules, regulations and speed limits.
• Skill in the operation of commercial and non-commercial vehicles and equipment (such as backhoes, trucks, asphalt sealers, rollers and tampers and related.)
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to communicate effectively.
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to monitor work in progress.
• Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to use all tools associated with the maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment.
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to have access to various work sites throughout the County.
*An employee in this position is subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
Lee County is an Equal Opportunity Employer