Mechanic ILee County Commission
Closing Date: September 4, 2019
Department: Shop, Lee County
Pay Grade: 12
Annual Salary Range: $34,473.30 - $36,559.95
Scope: This position assists in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
Required Hours Of Availability: Monday-Thursday; 6:00 am – 4:30 pm
Example Of Duties Performed:
• Assists in the repair and rebuilding of gasoline and diesel engines; repair and rebuilding of transmissions, differentials, starters, and alternators; repair and maintenance of hydraulic and air brake systems; repair of gas, oil, brake fluid, and transmission fluid leaks; installation and adjustment of clutches; performance of general maintenance; greasing of vehicles and equipment; welding and operating cutting torch; and the performance of suspension work.
• Repairs, replaces, and rotates tires.
• Cleans shop areas.
• Assists in performing preventive maintenance checks.
• Assists in responding to service calls for stalled vehicles and broken equipment.
• Maintains parts and supply inventory.
• Maintains service records.
• Answers telephone and provides information and assistance.
• Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
Summary Of Qualifications:
• Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the State of Alabama.
• Availability for on-call status at designated times.
• Knowledge of vehicle and heavy equipment mechanical repair and maintenance procedures
• Knowledge of mechanical repair and maintenance procedures, including tools, materials, & diagnostic equipment.
• Knowledge of traffic hazards, safety principles, rules, regulations and speed limits.
• Knowledge of occupational and health and safety regulations including accident causation and prevention.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to communicate effectively.
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to monitor work in progress.
• Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to use all tools associated with the maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment.
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to have access to various work sites throughout the County.
*An employee in this position is subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
Lee County is an Equal Opportunity Employer